Team Yankee Campaign Interest?

Moderator: Jamrowski

Lavallin
Flag: Great Britain

Team Yankee Campaign Interest?

Postby Lavallin » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

Would people be interested in a TY campaign toward the back end of this year? In very big handfuls I'm thinking of something like the following:

-3-stage campaign; one stage per month, running in Aug/Sep/Oct
-Finale event in Nov as our annual Tanksgiving bash

-Generally an escalation campaign, but with WARPAC forces given bonuses in early battles representing initial deliberate breakthroughs. Can scattered NATO forces regroup and slow, or even turn back, the tide?
-I'm tempted to incorporate some elements of the 'Aces' style campaigns from FoW for commanders who survive multiple battles. But I'll need to have a good think. And, because WW3 takes no prisoners, Aces can die!

-The campaign would be some sort of hybrid of map-based and branching; we will start in West Germany, but depending on how the balance goes, we could end up in the Netherlands, or pushing back the communists to the Oder-Neisse line. Depending on where and when the fights are, I will have suggested missions, terrain and special rules for each round (although feel free to ignore).
-Similar to the Wargame series of computer games, there will be some map-based "powers", e.g. SAS/Spetsnaz recon and raids, bombing strikes, etc. I haven't yet worked out what or how.

-The initial Soviet attack will be in the immediate aftermath of Tactical Nukes (in accordance with Soviet doctrine of the time). I will draft up some rules for fighting in contaminated areas, and circulate for comment, but I'll try not to make things too complex. I'm thinking that we assume that all troops have CBRN protection but that Infantry have to use the Night Fighting rules due to the restricted visibility afforded by suits and gasmasks.
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Re: Team Yankee Campaign Interest?

Postby Jamrowski » Tue May 23, 2017 11:40 am

Count me in, sounds great. From the text / email chatter, sounds like 'Hollywood Steve' is all over this one as well. Stating the obvious I'm sure, but......

If anyone is interested in playing Team Yankee in 15mm (1/100) scale, this is a great opportunity; whether you have an army or a single Platoon, we'll accommodate you somehow (if you have nothing, but are interested, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to let you take control of units and give it a whirl).

- West Germans / NATO for Steve
- WarPac for me (but depending on points I can potentially get Team USA on the board if there's a requirement to balance out armies / players)
Team Yankee: US Armoured Division / DDR Panzerkompanie
Flames of War: Soviet Inomarochnikiy Tankovy Batalon
DUST Tactics: USMC / NDAK
40k: Tau
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Tue May 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Count me in.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 pm

So this would be 15mm?
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada

Obligatory Wargaming Blog
All That Remains Project Blog
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Primarily yes, but if people wanted to play other scales, by agreement with their opponents, there's absolutely no reason that couldn't be incorporated. Just so long as it's not 6mm vs 15mm. (Because then all 15mm-scale vehicles get a crush attack...)
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Lol, fine, *gripe gripe gripe*
Armada

Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Seb, just to warn you, TY in 6mm gives the Soviets a massive advantage. In most games I've played I have been able to terrain hop towards my opponent, completely hiding my massive tank units in cover, and then spring out straight in to their side armour. This is almost impossible in 15mm, meaning I usually lose numerous tanks before I have a chance at getting into side armour.
As TY has no version on 'overwatch' this really harms the more defensive NATO forces.
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Sun May 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Quick question: with the T72 paint factory in Novosibirsk nearing capacity, can I assume that the Tanksgiving event (not the campaign) will be limited to 'Tank' Companies only?
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Sun May 28, 2017 8:52 pm

For single formations, yes; for multiple formations within a single force, at least one of them must be a Tank Company.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Sun May 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Any idea what points value we'll be running at so I can prime the paint queue?
Armada

Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm leaning toward 60/75/90 as the 'main' points levels, but as I said, I'm also considering boosts for WARPAC in the first campaign round. Maybe that's something like off-board artillery support instead though, or a small bonus to reserves? Don't know.

These are also nowhere near being set in stone, so I'm open to appeals and discussion. My perception is that higher points levels tend to favour NATO more than WARPAC, but that's mostly based on chatting with some strange guys on the internet, and not much empirical evidence.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 pm

My mother told me not to talk to strange men on the internet...

Well, as long as I've got something to aim for.
Armada

Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Mon May 29, 2017 6:27 am

80pts (or 90?) for Tanksgiving?
Graeme_the_Bald
Flag: Germany

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 am

I'm about to finish 4 VADs, after a long dry spell of very sporadic painting. Plus I have a box of M1 Abrams on the way, which could be done by August with a bit of luck. Depends on when BF release the new book(s) for Yanks, and what distracting stuff goes along with that (Bradleys and M60s are almost certain).
So I'm tentatively in, if nothing else as an incentive to crack on!
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 pm

First draft of proposed campaign is up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqy8hfjkg618x ... e.pdf?dl=0

This is for Phase One only, and I'll do more for future phases in due course; for now I'd particularly be interested in people's thoughts on balance. Does this go too far in giving an initial edge to WARPAC forces? Or have I over-compensated in some of the mission rules? Have I just made everything far too complicated? Is the pseudo-Russian font terrible?
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:09 pm

I like the font personally.

One question though. What happens to weapons with the Brutal rule under the Chemical Battlefield rule. I assume nothing, as re-rolling a re-roll would be harsh.
Otherwise it all looks good to me. The Scattered Forces rule may result in a lot of NATO units being Not In Good Spirits early but I'm guessing this reflects the fact that they are likely to be pulling back where able.

PS for any that need it the TANK ACES pdf can be downloaded from here: https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.asp ... rt_id=5312
The INFANTRY ACES can be downloaded from here: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2666
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 pm

I love it!

I'd note that we might want to roll missions before meeting up as some special rules change the allowed NATO force composition.
Armada

Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:41 am

Stu's Idle wrote:I like the font personally.

One question though. What happens to weapons with the Brutal rule under the Chemical Battlefield rule. I assume nothing, as re-rolling a re-roll would be harsh.
Otherwise it all looks good to me. The Scattered Forces rule may result in a lot of NATO units being Not In Good Spirits early but I'm guessing this reflects the fact that they are likely to be pulling back where able.

Effectively all weapons in Phase One count as being Brutal; the standard principle of not re-rolling a re-roll still stands.

Small units are certainly highly vulnerable to not being in Good Spirits, but don't immediately go to that state until they take casualties. It's meant to make things difficult. On the other hand, it will mean NATO players taking a larger number of smaller unit, so it's possible that while units will be lost, formations may hang on.

Wiggles wrote:I love it!

I'd note that we might want to roll missions before meeting up as some special rules change the allowed NATO force composition.

Definitely a good idea - if you can do so, either agree a mission beforehand, or possibly roll for one. This will become even more the case later on - Phase One is near the original front lines, and so largely uses "existing forces". From Phase Two onward, I envisage all sorts of odd things happening which may affect force composition.

For example, if NATO get pushed back to second-line airfields (i.e. those which were not cratered in initial bombing attacks), they may get X additional points to spend on air power (possibly even allowing single planes/helos?); depending on naval balance of power, either NATO or WARPAC may be able to open a maritime flank and gain a platoon of marine infantry; NATO may be able to start conscripting citizen militias or mobilising reserves (Modern Volkssturm!); and either side may be in a position to deploy additional airborne forces, and/or gain a free OP and off-board artillery.
Graeme_the_Bald
Flag: Germany

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm guessing you've all seen the 'Total War' PDF thats on the TY site along with Red Thunder launch stuff? Basically rules for multi-formation, multi-player 150-400+ point games. What's not to like?
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 am

I haven't had a good read yet, but it looks interesting. I also suspect it would combine very well with the Fog of War cards, which I used for the first time at the weekend, and thought were great! Definitely a strong possibility for a Tanksgiving finale.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am

I'm still working on getting 60pts up and running, but I'm hoping that this campaign will be starting soon. I'm even willing to break my rule about not playing unpainted minis!

Anyone up for starting next week?
Armada

Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am

I received a campaign pack today from Battlefront. It includes a map, little stckers, some badges(?) and a little booklet which basically explains what to do with the map (and the badges). It doesn't add much more than that, the games you'd play are just regular Team Yankee games (if I'm honest I'm a little underwelmed), but the map and stickers might be handy.

On a separate note Battlefront sent me a Red Thunder rulebook by mistake so I have a spare one if anyone wants it.
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Stu's Idle wrote:I received a campaign pack today from Battlefront. It includes a map, little stckers, some badges(?) and a little booklet which basically explains what to do with the map (and the badges). It doesn't add much more than that, the games you'd play are just regular Team Yankee games (if I'm honest I'm a little underwelmed), but the map and stickers might be handy.

On a separate note Battlefront sent me a Red Thunder rulebook by mistake so I have a spare one if anyone wants it.

I'd definitely be up for looking at the map and booklet to see if there are any ideas worth cribbing.

Otherwise I'm happy to start playing a few games to see if what I've scribbled up so far works. My main concern is that there may be more NATO players than WARPAC, but we'll see.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Lavallin wrote:My main concern is that there may be more NATO players than WARPAC, but we'll see.

Some people may need to defect.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 pm

We might just have to do a lot of blue on blue a la the rules for Cassino.

It's been brought to my attention that collecting an opfor for some of the game I play is probably a good idea, but I don't have the time or the money to put a WARPAC force together, otherwise I'd happily throw you some cheese for that spare army book.
Armada

Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm

"It is Sunday the first of July. This is the BBC.

As of four am GMT, a state of war exists between the NATO powers of Western Europe, and the Soviet Union. In the early hours of the morning, Soviet missiles struck British, American and German troops up and down the border, followed by an invasion by conventional forces. Downing Street has released a strong statement, assuring both the British people and Moscow, declaiming the use of Chemical and Nuclear weapons as reprehensible, and promising that any use against civilian targets will be responded to in kind. It is rumoured that Moscow, St Petersburg, Kiev and more would all be targets for a first wave of strikes. The Chancellor of Germany, Helmut Kohl, has declared a state of emergency, and has formally requested that all NATO member states immediately enact collective defence in accordance with NATO's Article Five. Declarations of war against the USSR have been made by Britain, the US, Canada, France, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Iceland. Declarations from other NATO states are expected later in the morning.

We now go live to our correspondent in Cologne, Martin White."

"I'm standing here by the ruins of the Hohenzollern Railway Bridge in Cologne; behind me, German regular army and reserve units are being marshalled into trains which will now be re-routed to the front. I haven't yet found an officer who is prepared to give a formal statement to camera, but the talk here is gloomy, with rumours of armoured columns streaming into the German industrial heartlands, and of NATO forces having to trade space for time.

Germany is waking this morning, feeling gripped by a double betrayal, with the bridge behind me taken down not by the Soviets, but by their own countrymen. Europe has been shaken not only by tactical weapons strikes along the border between the DDR and the GDR, but also by sudden armed uprisings by insurgent groups across Western Europe. The Rote Armee, IRA, ETA, Italian Red Brigades, and French Communist units, all armed with Soviet-made weapons and explosives, have struck at communications and transport hubs across Western Europe, increasing the disarray of the NATO response. There are even rumours of stolen NATO weapons and uniforms being used to equip Soviet special forces units to spread disruption among Western forces."

I apologise for not having been on top of this in the past weeks, but I am finally planning to play my first game - against Seb, for the Northern Coastal plains route - this week. If anyone has already played any other games, please feel free to use this thread to post results (basic results are fine; brief batreps are fun for flavour but not vital).
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:53 pm

This might be worth a look: https://firestorm.warconsole.com/
We could join in with the global event and/or play separately.
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 pm

It looks like there's quite a lot of detail in that system; I'll have to have a play with it from my computer at home. My concern is that it doesn't allow for occasional turncoat-ing, which I think we're going to need to do at least from time to time. But it does look pretty robust, so I'm happy in theory to give it a try.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I think it would be nice to be involved in a global thing, even if it is just a couple of reports.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:58 pm

The missions have been updated, both in TY and Flames. Some interesting changes: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5731

Return to “WW3 / Modern Wargaming”